Generating new science to inform decisions
Collaborative research projects conduct new applied science through an end user driven, collaborative process that results in research, data, tools, or other products that will inform decision making related to a reserve management need. Collaborative research projects can use social and/or natural science research approaches and must have a well-defined research question that the project is designed to answer. To learn more about recent projects browse the project catalog: Collaborative Research Projects
Open Funding Opportunity
The Science Collaborative is currently running the 2020 Collaborative Research grant competition. Pre-proposals have been reviewed and a subset of applicants have been invited to develop full proposals. Note: To be eligible for this funding opportunity, applicants must have submitted a pre-proposal and been invited by the Science Collaborative to submit a full proposal.
Note to Applicants (3/20/2020):
- The proposal submission deadline has been extended by two weeks (from April 6 to April 20) to make it easier for applicants to finalize and submit their proposals amidst all the disruptions created by COVID-19.
- Please note that the project team Q&A sessions with the review panel have been eliminated but this means increased importance of letters of support from primary end users.
- Project partners and end users are likely distracted and under strain right now. We encourage applicants to limit the number of letters of support and only include letters from primary end users. One letter from a primary end user could be sufficient or multiple end users could sign a single letter that they write together.
Resources for Developing Full Proposals:
- 2020 Collaborative Research Full Proposal Guidelines (PDF)
- Reserve Management Needs Summary, October 2019 (PDF)
- Timeline Template (Excel)
- Budget Template (Excel)
- Data Sharing Plan Template (Word)
- Related Work Template (Excel)
- Team Roles and Definitions Used in Guidelines (PDF)
- 2020 Collaboroative Research Proposal Review Process Summary (PDF)
Q&A about Full Proposal Guidelines:
- Q&A Record for Full Proposals (PDF), last updated April 16, 2020
- 2020 Full Proposal Guidelines Q&A webinar - View Recording (YouTube)
Resources from the Pre-Proposal Phase of the Competition:
- 2020 Request for Collaborative Research Pre-Proposals
- Tips for Collaborative Research Pre-Proposals (web-based tool)
- RFP Q&A Record (PDF)
- 2020 Collaborative Research RFP Q&A webinar - View Recording (YouTube) and Slide Deck (PDF)
Additional Proposal Development Resources:
- Conceptualizing & designing collaborative science projects - Webinar summary and video
- Characterizing end users – A tool for collaborative projects (Word)
- Reflections on engaging end users – A tool with key considerations for engaging end users (Word)
- Engaging end users webinar summary – Working iteratively to produce usable science (PDF)
- Additional references and tools are available on the Applicant Resources page
Questions about this funding opportunity can be directed to:
Phone: Maeghan Brass (734-763-0727), Lynn Vaccaro (734-763-0056)