The Science Collaborative is currently soliciting proposals for catalyst and collaborative research projects and plans to release a call for science transfer projects in January 2020. These are unique opportunities that are designed for projects that differ in both intent and scope. Applicants should to select the best funding opportunity for their idea, rather than submitting the same idea to multiple RFPs.
For all Science Collaborative opportunities, proposals must adopt an end user driven approach and be developed in close collaboration with at least one reserve to ensure the work will meet a current reserve management need. Applicants may draw on both the social sciences and physical/natural sciences to meet the goals of these RFPs.
Request for Catalyst Proposals
Catalyst grants support activities that advance collaborative science by facilitating the development of new collaborative science ideas; amplifying or enhancing existing collaborative research; or synthesizing NERRS System Wide Monitoring Program data for a regional or national application.
- Project Length: 1 year
- Award Size: $75,000 and $200,000. Budgets of $200,000 are expected to be most appropriate for multi-reserve projects.
- Deadlines: This RFP includes a mandatory letter of intent which is due by 11:59pm EST on December 16, 2019. Proposals are due at 11:59pm EST on February 17, 2020.
- Learn More: Catalyst Grants
Request for Collaborative Research Pre-Proposals
Collaborative research projects conduct new applied science using an end user driven, collaborative process that results in research, data, tools, or other products that will inform decision making related to a reserve management need.
- Project Length: Up to 3 years
- Award Size: Up to $200,000 per year with a total budget of up to $600,000 for a three-year project.
- Application Process: Pre-proposals are due by 11:59pm EST on December 11, 2019.
- Learn More: Collaborative Research Grants
The Science Collaborative will host question and answer webinars at the following times:
- Collaborative Research RFP: Tuesday, October 29 @ 3:30 PM ET. Register
- Catalyst RFP: Tuesday, November 12 @ 3:30 PM ET. Register
To learn more about projects funded by the NERRS Science Collaborative, visit the Grants Awarded page.