The Science Collaborative is currently running competitions for three types of grants - catalyst, collaborative research, and science transfer. These are unique opportunities that are designed for projects that differ in both intent and scope. Applicants should to select the best funding opportunity for their idea, rather than submitting the same idea to multiple RFPs. Please note that the deadlines for submitting a mandatory letter of intent for catalyst proposals and collaborative research pre-proposals have already passed.
For all Science Collaborative opportunities, proposals must adopt an end user driven approach and be developed in close collaboration with at least one reserve to ensure the work will meet a current reserve management need. Applicants may draw on both the social sciences and physical/natural sciences to meet the goals of these RFPs.
Request for Science Transfer Proposals
Science Transfer projects provide opportunities for sharing information and techniques within and beyond the reserve system by leveraging existing research and identifying new opportunities to put science to work for the benefit of coastal communities and ecosystems.
- Project Length: Up to 2 years
- Award Size: Up to $100,000, with a range of project scopes and award sizes anticipated.
- Application Process: Proposals are due at 11:59pm EDT on March 25, 2020.
- Learn More: Science Transfer Grants
Request for Catalyst Proposals
Catalyst grants support activities that advance collaborative science by facilitating the development of new collaborative science ideas; amplifying or enhancing existing collaborative research; or synthesizing NERRS System Wide Monitoring Program data for a regional or national application.
- Project Length: 1 year
- Award Size: $75,000 and $200,000. Budgets of $200,000 are expected to be most appropriate for multi-reserve projects.
- Deadlines: Proposals are due at 11:59pm EST on February 19, 2020. This RFP includes a mandatory letter of intent which was due on December 16, 2019.
- Learn More: Catalyst Grants
Request for Collaborative Research Pre-Proposals
Collaborative Research projects conduct new applied science using an end user driven, collaborative process that results in research, data, tools, or other products that will inform decision making related to a reserve management need.
- Project Length: Up to 3 years
- Award Size: Up to $200,000 per year with a total budget of up to $600,000 for a three-year project.
- Application Process: Pre-proposals were due on December 11, 2019. Applicants must be invited to submit a proposal.
- Learn More: Collaborative Research Grants
To learn more about projects funded by the NERRS Science Collaborative, visit the Grants Awarded page.